- STICKY POST
- I'm done, close this
Check out our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide, win some awesome gadgets!
Our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide is in full swing - we are adding our recommendations daily, aimed at men, women, teens, families, techies, and more. If you need help figuring out what to get the people in your life, head on over to our Guide for some ideas. We’ll even be giving away some of the items featured this year!
Wednesday September 5, 2007 10:01 am
Xbox Live Arcade and Virtual Console Releases This Week
There are six new games to choose from this week on Xbox Live Arcade and Virtual Console, though none of them are original games (which you expect from VC but even XBLA is arcade ports this week). Plus, most of this week’s games are relatively inexpensive with one exception.
Games this week include Bonk 3: Bonk’s Big Adventure, Adventure Island, Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Cyberball 2072 and Fatal Fury Special. Details for the releases are below.
Read More | Nintendo Press Release
- Bonk 3: Bonk’s Big Adventure (600 Wii Points): This is the third and final TurboGrafx-16 Bonk game and many feel it is a culmination of the series as it includes all the moves available from the previous two games plus adds two player co-op.
- Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (800 Wii Points): Sort of the Genesis answer to The Legend of Zelda, this is a well-respected RPG and probably worth checking out. As an aside, this game is supposed to be getting the remake treatment (in full 3D) for the PSP.
- Hudson’s Adventure Island (500 Wii Points): This was a bizarre little side-scrolling platformer for the NES that had a countdown mechanic (you have to keep eating fruit or your life meter depletes) and, naturally, a skateboard power-up. It spawned a lot of sequels and was quite popular in its time.
- Donkey Kong Jr. Math (500 Wii Points): One of several early “edutainment” games for the NES, a line that mostly fizzled when game developers realized kids didn’t want to learn math from their Nintendos any more than they wanted to learn it from their teachers.
Xbox Live Arcade
- Cyberball 2072 (400 Microsoft Points): It’s American football with robots and a bomb for a ball. The arcade game was quite popular, esepcially once Atari introduced Tournament Cyberball 2072 which it sounds like the XBLA version contains some of the enhancements of that version. One problem with this download is that the arcade cabinets could support up to four players (two per side) but it sounds like the XBLA version only supports two players. Still, for $5 it’s worth a trial run at least.
- Fatal Fury Special (400 Microsoft Points): The SNK fighting game with Xbox Live support and achievements. If you’re into this, you don’t need anyone to sell you on it. Likely a good purchase, if only there were a decent fighting game controller available for the 360.
- Related Tags:
- 360, achievements, adventure, adventure island, arcade, atari, bonk, bonk 3, cyberball 2072, donkey, donkey kong, donkey kong jr math, edutainment, fatal fury, fighting, genesis, hudson, island, landstalker, live, live arcade, math, microsoft, platformer, player, ports, psp, release, retro, robots, rpg, sequels, snk, turbografx-16, turbografx16, virtual, virtual console, wii, xbla, xbox 360, xbox live arcade, zelda
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.